It’s Tuesday, but it really feels like it should be Thursday. Can I really only be two days into the work week? At least tomorrow is Wednesday, which means we’re getting over the hump!
AM gym session included a heart-racing 30 min on the ARC-trainer (the last 5 minutes were particularly ferocious) and ~25 min of leg exercises. I am particularly fond of leg days for one reason: jumping lunges. They are totally
torturous invigorating. They are one of those exercises that you feel for hours (or days) after, a tell-tale sign of an exercise that means business.
I worked up quite an appetite at the gym and knew that only two things could satisfy it: a smoothie and peanut butter.
Smoothie: frozen peach, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, skim milk, 1 T brown rice protein powder, 1/2 T coconut oil. Ezekiel toast w/ Smuckers natural peanut butter.
The smoothie was particularly peachy, just what I wanted. But the real star was the peanut butter.
Who could resist this??
I’m still drooling over it. I’m a pretty big fan of peanut butter for a number of reasons:
- The ooey gooey, stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth, texture. Yum.
- It’s so versatile. Like your favorite pair of fall boots, peanut butter goes with almost anything and can adapt to sweet, salty, or savory situations.
- It’s part of my all-time favorite packed lunch to take to the beach: PB & J. (I think PB&J’s taste even better on the beach… maybe breathing in the salty air enhances the taste? Or maybe everything is just better with sand between your toes and waves on the horizon.)
- Peanut butter and chocolate. Enough said.
- It’s rich in protein and healthy fats and is a good source of niacin (function: proper fat metabolism, regulate blood sugar levels) and manganese (function: healthy bones, thyroid, and blood sugar levels)
- Stirring a freshly opened jar of natural peanut butter definitely counts as an upper body work out. Am I right?
- It’s a major theme in two of my favorite blogs: Peanut Butter Fingers and Peanut Butter & Jenny
- Smooth or chunky, you can’t go wrong.
- Interesting fact: I once had to dress as peanut butter for a high school theater skit. Apparently dressing in a brown t-shirt and brown shorts with a sign “peanut butter” safety-pinned to your shirt qualifies as a peanut butter costume.
- Eating peanut butter straight from the jar on a spoon is among my top 5 guilty pleasures. (<–future blog post?)
Work was work. Somewhere amid the day I consumed lunch:
Salad w/ spinach, carrots, tomatoes, red bell pepper, Boar’s Head ham, Swiss cheese, Ken’s light honey dijon dressing. I never eat deli meat, so this was a rare treat — and what a treat indeed. Ham, Swiss, and dijon mustard is such a killer combination.
Lunch was followed by chocolate birthday cake. Not my birthday, a co-worker’s. V brought in chocolate pudding cake for J’s belated bday celebration. It was very simply dressed – only powder sugar, no icing – and it was gooooood. It took every bit of willpower I had to stop at just one piece.
Later I also munched on carrots, grapes, mini whole wheat pita, and hummus. Good, but cake was better. 😛
Dinner was prepared while catching up with my grandma on the phone.
Whole wheat pasta w/ fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese — broccoli — Trader Joe’s sundried tomato chicken sausage. I practically licked the plate it was so good.
After dinner I studied. I’m taking a big test in less than two weeks (more details on that to come) — so my days all follow a similar schedule: gym/work/study/sleep. At least I can mix things up with the food I eat! So looking forward to getting my life back soon.
Since I’ve checked gym, work, and study off my daily to-do list, I’m now left with sleep. Don’t mind if I do.